Publications of the UCL Networked Multimedia Research Group
A. Bouch & M. A. Sasse (2001):
Why Value is Everything: A user-centred approach to Internet
Quality of Service and Pricing. In L. Wolf, D. Hutchison & R. Steinmetz
[Eds]: Quality of Service - Proceedings of IWQoS 2001, pp. 49-72.
Springer (Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2092).
R. Monthienvichienchai, M. A. Sasse & R. Wheeldon (2001):
There's trouble in paradise: problems with educational metadata
encountered during the MALTED project.
Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2001, Tampere, Finland, June 2001.
J. V. Pitt & M. A. Sasse (2001):
Privacy in Collaborative Multimedia Environments.
Proceedings of the International Conference
on Media Futures, Florence, May 2001.
D. Weirich & M. A. Sasse (2001):
Persuasive Password Security.
CHI2001 Extended Abstracts, Seattle, April 2001, pp. 139-140.
M. Garau, M. Slater, S.Bee & M. A. Sasse (2001):
The Impact of Eye Gaze on Communication using Humanoid Avatars.
in J. Jacko, A. Sears, M. Beaudouin-Lafon & R. Jacob [Eds.]:
Proceedings of CHI2001, Seattle, April 2001, pp. 309-316.
G. M. Wilson & M. A. Sasse (2001):
Straight from the Heart - Using Physiological
Measurements in the Evaluation of Media Quality.
Proceedings of the Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence
and the Simulation of Behaviour (AISB) Convention 2001, Symposium on
Emotion, Cognition and Affective Computing, March 21st - 24th 2001, York, UK.
pp 63-73. ISBN: 1-902956-19-7
R. Monthienvichienchai, M. A. Sasse & R. Wheeldon (2001):
Educational metadata - friend or foe?
Proceedings of Euro-CSCL2001, Maastricht, March 2001.
- T. Henderson, S. N. Bhatti, Modelling user behaviour in networked games. ACM Multimedia 201.
- H. de Meer, P.O'Hanlon, Segmented Adaptation of Traffic aggregates , IWQOS 2001.
- C. Fraleigh, C. Diot, B. Lyles, S.Moon, P. Owezarski, K. Papagiannaki, and F. Tobagi. Design and Deployment of a Passive Monitoring
Infrastructure. In Passive and Active Measurements Workshop, Amsterdam, Netherlands, April 2001.
- K.Papagiannaki, P. Thiran, J. Crowcroft, and C. Diot. Preferential Treatment of Acknowledgment Packets in a Differentiated Services Network. In
Ninth International Workshop on Quality of Service, Karlsruhe, Germany, June 2001. (TR10-ATL-041001, Sprint Advanced Technology Laboratories)
- T. Henderson, S. N. Bhatti, "Protocol independent multicast pricing", Proc. NOSSDAV2000 - 10th International
Workshop on Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video, The University of North
Carolina, USA, 26-28 June 2000
- O. Hodson, C. S. Perkins & V. Hardman,
Skew detection and compensation for Internet audio applications,
Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo,
New York, July 2000.
- J. Crowcroft, S. Bhatti & C. Perkins,
What is the place for user-network signalling in the 21st century?,
Proceedings of the 16th UK Teletraffic Symposium, Harlow, UK,
22-24 May 2000.
- C. S. Perkins & J. Crowcroft,
Notes on the use of RTP for shared workspace applications,
ACM Computer Communication Review, Volume 30, Number 2, April 2000.
- C. S. Perkins & J. Crowcroft,
Effects of Interleaving on RTP Header
Compression, Proceedings of IEEE Infocom 2000, March 2000.
- A. Bouch & M. A. Sasse, The case for predictable media quality in networked multimedia applications,
ACM/SPIE Multimedia Computing and Networking (MMCN'00), 25-27th January 2000, San Jose, USA.
- M. Handley & C. S. Perkins, Guidelines for Writers of RTP Payload Format
Specifications, IETF Audio/Video Transport working group, December 1999, Best Current Practise,
- A. Adams & M. A. Sasse, Taming the Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: Privacy in multimedia communications.
Proceedings of ACM Multimedia'99, Orlando, Florida November, 1999, pp 101 - 107. ACM.
- A. Bouch & M. A. Sasse, Network Quality of Service: What do users need?, Proceedings of the
4th International Distributed Conference (IDC'99). 21-23 September, Madrid, Spain 1999
- G. M. Wilson & M. A. Sasse, Listen to Your Heart Rate: counting the cost of media quality
and user cost in networked multimedia applications. Proceedings of International Workshop on Affect
in Interactions: Toward a New Generation of Interfaces, to be held in conjunction with AC'99,
the Annual Conference of the EC I3 Programme, Siena, Italy, October 20-22, 1999.
- A. Adams & M. A. Sasse, Users are not the enemy, Communications of the ACM, 41(12), December 1999.
- P. Gevros, F. Risso & P. T. Kirstein, Analysis of a Method for
Differential TCP Service, Proceedings of the Fourth Global Internet Symposium , Rio
de Janeiro, December 1999.
- I. Brown, C. S. Perkins & J. Crowcroft, Watercasting: Distributed
Watermarking of Multicast Media, Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Networked
Group Communication Pisa, November 1999. Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1736.
- N. Kausar & J. Crowcroft, An architecture of Conference
Control Functions, Proc. of Photonics East, Boston, Massachusetts, September 20-22, 1999.
- P. T. Kirstein, E. Whelan & I Brown, Secure Multimedia Conferencing, to be presented
at the IDC, 1999.
- P. T. Kirstein, Research on Networks versus Networks for Research: the Need for International
Internet Testbeds, ACM SIGCOMM, 1999
- L. Lambrinos, P. T. Kirstein & V. Hardman, Improving the Quality of Recorded
Mbone Sessions using a Distributed Model, to be presented at IDMS, 1999
- S. N. Bhatti, IP and Integrated Services, Handbook of
Communications Technologies: The Next Decade, September 1999 [CRC Press].
- A. Adams & M. A. Sasse, Privacy Issues in Ubiquitous Multimedia Environments: Wake
Sleeping Dogs, Or Let Them Lie? In M. A. Sasse & C. Johnson [Eds.]: Human-Computer
Interaction INTERACT '99 - Proceedings of IFIP TC.13 International Conference 30th August-3rd of
September 1999, Edinburgh, pp 214-221. IOS.
- J. Rimmer, I. Wakeman, L. Sheeran & M. A. Sasse, Examining Users' Repertoire of
Internet Applications. In M. A. Sasse & C. Johnson [Eds.]: Human-Computer Interaction
INTERACT '99 - Proceedings of IFIP TC.13 International Conference 30th August-3rd of
September 1999, Edinburgh, pp 654-666. IOS.
- A. Bouch & M. A. Sasse, It ain't what you charge, it's the way that you do it:
A user perspective of network QoS and pricing. Paper presented at the IFIP/IEEE
International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM'99) in Boston, 24-28 May 1999,
- Q.Cabell, P. Kirstein, T. Pagtzis, T. Tiropanis, & L. Wang, The Use of TINA Principles
in the Management of Internet Multimedia Conferences, Proceedings of the 6th International
Conference on intelligence in services and networks, IS&N '99; Barcelona, Spain; April 1999;
Springer Verlag Press.
- S. N. Bhatti & G. Knight, Enabling QoS adaptation decisions
for Internet applications, Journal of Computer Networks, vol. 31, no. 7, pp 669-692,
- V. Hardman & O. Hodson, "Speech and Music Transmission over the Best-Effort Internet"
to be published in Handbook of Communications Technologies: The Next Decade, published by
CRC Press LLC.
- V. Hardman & S. Hailes, "Mobile Multimedia Access for the Internet" in
Insights into mobile multimedia communications, published by Academic Press
- D. Miras, V. Hardman & A. Steed,"New approach to collaborative real-time Internet multimedia applications" in IEE Conference Publication, n 465 I, (1999), p 326-330
- P. T. Kirstein, Forward to J. Feghhi, J. Feghhi and P. Williams "Digital Certificates -
Applied Internet Security", Addison Wesley Longman Inc, ISBN 0-201-30980-7, 1999.
- P. T. Kirstein, Early Experiences with the ARPANET and INTERNET in the UK, IEEE Annals of
Computing, Volume 21, number 1, 1999.
- N. Kausar & J. Crowcroft, General Conference Control Protocol,
IEEE Telecommunication 1998, Edinburgh, 1998.
- N. Kausar & J. Crowcroft, Reliable Transport Protocol Requirements
for Collaborative Multimedia Systems, 17th IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed System 1998,
multimedia workshop, Indiana, Purdue University.
- N. Kausar & J. Crowcroft, End to End reliable Multicast Transport
protocol Adoptation for Conference Control Requirements, 8th IFIP Conference on High Performance
Networks 1998, Vienna, Austria.
- N. Kausar & J. Crowcroft, Reliable Multicast Requirements for Multimedia Conference Control,
International Workshop on High Performance Protocol Architectures, UCL, London, HIPPRACH 1998.
- P. Oechslin & J. Crowcroft, Weighted Proportionally Fair Differentiated Service TCP,
ACM CCR, 1998.
- O. Hodson, S. Varakliotis & V. Hardman, A software platform for
multi-way audio distribution over the Internet, in Audio and music technology: the
challenge of creative DSP, IEE Colloquium, London, November 1998.
- P. Smith & V. Hardman, "Fine-grained scalable sound representation for
collaborative composition and performance", in Audio and music technology:
the challenge of creative DSP, IEE Colloquium, London, November 1998.
- L. Lambrinos, P. Kirstein & V. Hardman, "The Multicast Multimedia Conference
The 7th International Conference on Computer Communications and Netwroks, October 12-15 1998,
Lafayette, Louisiana, USA, p208-213
- C. S. Perkins, O. Hodson & V. Hardman, A Survey of
Packet-Loss Recovery Techniques for Streaming Audio, IEEE Network Magazine,
- A. Watson & M. A. Sasse, Measuring perceived quality of speech and
video in multimedia conferencing applications, In Proceedings of ACM Multimedia'98,
Bristol, UK, September 1998.
- A. Bouch, A. Watson & M. A. Sasse, QUASS - A Tool for Measuring the Subjective
Quality of Real-Time Multimedia Audio and Video. Poster presented at HCI '98.
- I. Kouvelas, V. Hardman & J. Crowcroft, Network Adaptive
Continuous-Media Applications Through Self Organised Transcoding, Proceedings
of Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video (NOSSDAV 98),
8-10 July 1998, Cambridge, UK.
- S. N. Bhatti & G. Knight, QoS Assurance vs. Dynamic
Adaptability for Applications, Proc. NOSSDAV'98 - 8th International Workshop on
Network and Operating System Support for Digital Audio and Video, New Hall, Cambridge,
UK, 8-10 July 1998.
- P. Gevros & J. Crowcroft,
Experimental Results on Weighted Proportional TCP Throughput Differentiation, in Proceedings of
the Fourth International Workshop on High Performance Protocol Architectures (HIPPARCH '98), London,
- L. Rizzo & L. Vicisano, A Reliable Multicast data Distribution
Protocol based on software FEC techniques, Proc. of The Fourth IEEE Workshop on the
Architecture and Implementation of High Performance Communication Systems (HPCS'97),
Sani Beach, Chalkidiki, Greece June 23-25, 1997.
- S. N. Bhatti & G. Knight, Notes on a QoS information
model for making adaptation decisions, Proc. HIPPARCH'98 - 4th International Workshop
on High Performance Protocol Architectures, UCL, London, UK, 15-16 June 1998.
- L. Vicisano & J. Crowcroft, One to Many Reliable Bulk-Data
Transfer in the MBone, Proceedings of the Third International Workshop on High
Performance Protocol Architectures (HIPPARCH '97), Uppsala, Sweden, June 12-13, 1997.
- C. S. Perkins & O. Hodson, Options for Repair of
Streaming Media, IETF Audio/Video Transport Working Group, June 1998,
- V. Hardman, M. A. Sasse & I. Kouvelas, Successful Multiparty Audio Communication
over the Internet, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 41(5), 1998.
- B. Braden, D. Clark, J. Crowcroft, B. Davie, S. Deering, D. Estrin, S. Floyd, V. Jacobson,
G. Minshall, C. Partridge, L. Zhang, L. Peterson, K. Ramakrishnan, S. Shenker &
J. Wroclawski, Recommendations on queue management and congestion
avoidance in the internet, RFC 2309, Internet Engineering Task Force, April 1998.
- L. Rizzo & L. Vicisano, A FEC based Reliable Multicast Protocol
for Wireless Environments, ACM Mobile Computing and Communication Review, V.2, N.2,
- M. A. Sasse, L. Clark & C. S. Perkins, Piloting IP Multicast
Conferencing over SuperJANET: The PIPVIC project, In proceedings of the UKERNA
Networkshop, Aberdeen, April 1998.
- L. Vicisano, J. Crowcroft & L. Rizzo, TCP-like congestion
control for layered multicast data transfer, In Proceedings IEEE InfoCom'98, March/April
1998, San Francisco.
- P. T. Kirstein, Multimedia Videoconferencing on the Net, Proc. Conf. On Telematics,
Barcelona, February 1998.
- A. Watson & M. A. Sasse, Multimedia Conferencing via Multicast:
Determining the Quality of Service Required by the End-User, Proceedings of the 1997
International Workshop on Audio-Visual Services Over Packet Networks 15-16 September 1997.
- I. Kouvelas, O. Hodson, V. Hardman & J. Crowcroft,
Redundancy Control in Real-Time Internet Audio Conferencing, Proceedings of the 1997
International Workshop on Audio-Visual Services Over Packet Networks 15-16 September 1997.
- C. S. Perkins, I. Kouvelas, O. Hodson, V. Hardman, M. Handley, J.-C. Bolot,
A. Vega-Garcia & S. Fosse-Parisis, RTP Payload for
Redundant Audio Data, IETF Audio/Video Transport Working Group, September
- L. Clark & M. A. Sasse, Conceptual Design Reconsidered --
The Case of the Internet Session Directory Tool, In Proceedings of HCI'97, Bristol, UK,
August 1997, Springer.
- J. Hughes & M. A. Sasse, Internet Multimedia Conferencing - Results
from the ReLaTe Project, Proceedings of the ICDE World Conference, June 1998,
Pennsylvania State University.
- C. S. Perkins, V. Hardman, I. Kouvelas & M. A. Sasse, Multicast
Audio: The Next Generation, In Proceedings of INET'97, Putra World Trade Centre,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, June 1997.
- F. Baker, J. Crowcroft, R. Guerin, H. Schulzrinne & L. Zhang,
Reservations about reservations,
in Proc. of IFIP Fifth International Workshop on Quality of Service
(IWQOS '97), (New York, NY), May 1997.
- C. S. Perkins & J. Crowcroft, Real-Time Audio and Video
Transmission of IEEE Globecom'96 over the Internet, Presented at the IEEE Engineer's
Conference at Networld+Interop, Las Vegas, May 1997.
- C. S. Perkins & J. Crowcroft, Real-Time Audio and Video Transmission of IEEE Globecom'96
over the Internet, IEEE Communications Magazine, Volume 35, Number 4, April 1997.
- B. Carpenter, J. Crowcroft & Y. Rekhter, IPv4 address behaviour
today, Request for Comments (Informational) 2101, Internet Engineering Task Force,
- I. Kouvelas & V. Hardman, Overcoming Workstation Scheduling
Problems in a Real-Time Audio Tool, In Proceedings of the USENIX Annual Technical
Conference, Anaheim, January 1997.
- A. Watson, Evaluating Real-Time Multimedia Audio and Video Quality,
Presented at CHI '97 Doctoral Consortium. CHI '97 Extended Abtracts, pp. 73-74.
- K. Carlberg & J. Crowcroft "Building shared trees using a one-to-many joining mechanism,"
ACM Computer Communication Review, vol. 27, pp. 5-11, Jan. 1997.
- V. Hardman & M. Iken, Enhanced Reality Audio in Interactive Network
Environments in Proceedings of the FIVE Technical Conference, Pisa, Italy, December 1996.
- Z. Wang & J. Crowcroft, Prefetching in world wide
web, in Proceedings of Global Internet (Jon Crowcroft and Henning Schulzrinne, eds.),
(London, England), pp. 28-32, IEEE, Nov. 1996.
- I. Kouvelas, V. Hardman & A. Watson, Lip Synchronisation for Use
Over the Internet: Analysis and Implementation, Proceedings of IEEE Globecom'96,
November 1996, London UK.
- M. A. Sasse & M. Handley, Collaborative Writing With Synchronous and Asynchronous Support
Environments. In Rada, R. [Ed.]: Groupware and Authoring. pp 205-218. Academic Press.
- A. Watson & M. A. Sasse, Assessing the Usability and Effectiveness
of a Remote Language Teaching System, Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 96 - World Conference on
Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, June 17-22 1996, Boston, Mass. pp 685-690.
- A. Watson & M. A. Sasse, Evaluating Audio and Video Quality in Low-Cost
Multimedia Conferencing Systems, Interacting with Computers, Vol. 8 (3), pp. 255-275.
- H. Schulzrinne & J. Crowcroft, Guest editorial: The global Internet, IEEE Journal on
Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 13, pp. 1366-1369, October 1995.
- M. Handley, I. Wakeman, and J. Crowcroft, The conference
control protocol (CCCP): a scalable base for building conference control
applications in SIGCOMM Symposium on Communications Architectures
and Protocols, (Cambridge, Massachusetts), pp. 275-287, September 1995.
- V. Hardman, M. A. Sasse, M. Handley & A. Watson,
Reliable Audio for use over the Internet, In Proceedings INET'95, Hawaii, 1995.
- P. Kirstein, M. A. Sasse, M. Handley & S. Clayman,
Recent Activities of the MICE Conferencing Project, Proceedings INET'95 International
Networking Conference, 27-30 June 1995, Honolulu, Hawaii, pp. 445-454. Reston, VA: ISOC.
- M. A. Sasse & R. Bennett, Multimedia Conferencing over the Internet
- The MICE Project, Library & Information Systems Briefings, Issue 58, March 1995.
- I. Wakeman, A. Ghosh, J. Crowcroft, V. Jacobson & S. Floyd,
Implementing Real Time Packet Forwarding Policies using Streams, research note,
University College London, London, November 1994.
- I. Wakeman , Multicast congestion control in the distribution
of variable bit rate video," Computer Science Department, University College London,
- Z. Wang & J. Crowcroft, "A unified framework for multicast forwarding," in Proceedings
of the 4th International Workshop on Network and Operating System Support for Digital Audio
and Video, (Lancaster, U.K.), pp. 252-258, Lancaster University, November 1993.
- S. Chuang, J. Crowcroft, S. Hailes, M. Handley, N. Ismail, D. Lewis & Ian Wakeman
Multimedia application requirements for multicast communications services, Proceedings
of the International Networking Conference (INET), (San Francisco, California),
pp. BFB-1 - BFB-9, Internet Society, August 1993.
- T. Ballardie, P. Francis & J. Crowcroft, "Core based trees (CBT)," in SIGCOMM
Symposium on Communications Architectures and Protocols (Deepinder P. Sidhu, ed.),
(San Francisco, California), pp. 85-95, ACM, September 1993. Also in Computer
Communication Review 23 (4), Oct. 1992.
- Z. Wang & J. Crowcroft, "Analysis of burstiness and jitter in real-time communications,"
in SIGCOMM Symposium on Communications Architectures and Protocols (Deepinder P. Sidhu, ed.),
(San Francisco, California), pp. 13-19, ACM, September 1993. Also in Computer Communication
Review 23 (4), Oct. 1992.
- Z. Wang & J. Crowcroft, "SEAL detects cell misordering," IEEE Network, vol. 6,
pp. 8-9, July 1992.
- I. Wakeman, D. Lewis & J. Crowcroft, Traffic Analysis of Trans-Atlantic Traffic, in
Proceedings of INET 92, (Kobe, Japan), pp. 417-430, June 1992.
- Z. Wang & J. Crowcroft, A two-tier address structure for
the internet: A solution to the problem of address space exhaustion," RFC 1335,
Internet Engineering Task Force, May 1992.
- Z. Wang & J. Crowcroft, Analysis of shortest-path routing algorithms in a dynamic
network environment, ACM Computer Communication Review, vol. 22, pp. 63-71, April 1992.
- Z. Wang & J. Crowcroft, "Eliminating periodic packet losses in the 4.3-Tahoe BSD TCP
congestion control algorithm," ACM Computer Communication Review, vol. 22, pp. 9-16,
- Z. Wang, J. Crowcroft & I. Wakeman, "A Simple TCP Extension for High Speed Paths,"
ACM Computer Communication Review, vol. 22, pp. 48-51, January 1992.