PIPVIC
Videoconference 08/05/98, 10:00-11:00

Participants:-
Julian Chesterfield, UCL (JC)
Angela Sasse, UCL (MAS)
David Hearnshaw, Westminster (DH)
Sue Sharples, Essex, (SS)
Simon Lavington, Essex, (SL)
John Buckett, Exeter (JB)
Ian Campbell, Exeter (IC)
Nac Datta, Exeter (ND)
Dave Price, Aber (DP)
Henry Hughes, UKERNA (HH)
Kris Hasler, UCL (KH)
Colin Perkins, UCL (CP)
Louise Clark, UCL (LC)

Apologies:-
Lesley Pitman, SSEES (LP)
Paul Hogan, Language Centre (PH)

minutes:-

1. Connection and tool check

All fine. LC is transmitting more noise than voice (to be looked into)
no Audio from JD until towards the end of the session.

2. Contract update
SL - problem in contract with "title of equipment will rest with UKERNA"

ACTION 98/05/08 (HH) will check and sort out agreement letter to
clarify.


3. Teaching activities:

a)
- - - - - - - - Mandarin
JC - Porblem with unreliable Mrouter at the language centre. Session was
delayed at the beginning because tutor couldn't get a connection to
participants in Exeter.

ACTION 98/05/08 (MAS) - will replace machine and update mrouter as soon
as new machine has arrived.

JC - students seem to enjoy session very much - one student liked large
image of tutor in particular - suggestion: increase framerate to assist
pronunciation

JB - agrees.  Student has understanding/appreciation of IT (as well as
studying accupuncture and wanting to learn Chinese) - so she is a very
good user to have.

MAS - raise framerate to 15 f/s for tutor, start with 8 for students and
increase gradually to see how machines/network cope.

- - - - - - - - Italian evaluation

MAS - Reminder that evaluation sessions are of utmost importance and
must take place , using same format as other sessions, so that we have
consistent result.

DP - Adriano has just called on the phone. He is at home with a cold etc
and gives apology . Alberto is away for a week, and so Adriano suggests
we try a meeting week of 18th -> 23rd May. Some students have filled in
evaluation forms, but we need to collect a few more.

ACTION 98/05/08 (Aber - Exeter) - to finalise date for evaluation
session

- - - - - - - - Human Rights (SSEES and Essex)

Last sessions has been cancelled due to students at SSEES being unable
to make any more sessions before end of term.

LC - extremely few evaluation forms from students for Human Rights
course have been returned)

ACTION 98/05/08 (JD/LP) - urgently organise evaluation session in
contact with Maria

SL - catch students before they disappear for vacation.

b) Seminars

7/5/98 Craig Rodine from OU
JB - sound from UCL Lecture Room was excellent.

LC - lecture yesterday very interesting. Problems with too many large
slides, we circulated powerpoint slides in advance and then tried to
show the slides over VIC.

DH - Could see most of the keywords on the slides. Audio, video and
content good.

SS - first seminar listened to, sound good throughout. Could see most of
the slides over the video.

LC - high framerate from UCL seemed to work quite well.

JD - sound quality excellent, content very interesting.

Upcoming:-
--14/5/98 Jim Dingley from SSEES
JD confirmed seminar next Thursday.

ACTION 98/05/08 (JD) to send slides to Louise for the Pipvic website.

LC - No response from UCL language teachers about participating in
seminar.

JD - will do it on his own.

ACTION 98/05/08 (MAS/LC) - try to arrange seminar by Anne Adams on
privacy issues in videoconferencing/recording

HH - if this is advertised well, there may well be a huge interest from
outside


--21/5/98 Simon Lavington from Essex???
SL - Not possible to do a seminar until June.

MAS: Would Sue be interested in doing a presentation of her PHD work?
Must be on Thursday 23rd or the week after.

SS - Couldn't do it until towards the end of June.

MAS - Must have a seminar from Essex

LC - anyone else at Essex who could give a seminar? After the SSEES
seminar. On the 21st or 28th.

ACTION 98/05/08 (SL)- to contact Robot group and try to arrange seminar
from Essex

SL - Possibly the robot group.


4. Technical and Pedagogical evaluations for the PIPVIC deliverable
(15th May)LC -sent out email this morning. outlining requirements from
other sites. Also, unless comments, evaluation results or observations
have been documented in the form of minutes or reports, any points will
not have been recorded by UCL, and will not therefore appear in the
final deliverable.

5. Update on DEMO

LC - there is a countdown on the PIPVIC website. Leading up to the demo,
we will need to do rehearsals and write scripts. It is important to warn
people that it will involve more time beforehand as well as the demo day
itself.

HH - meeting will have 50 - 100 people as well as board who decide on
funding. It will be a good opportunity to voice opinions and requests
and show what is possible over the MBone.

MAS +IBM- Agenda for demo avaliable?

ACTION 98/05/08 (HH)- will send out more details this afternoon.

SL - None of the students will be able to make the afternoon, hopefully
there will be some lecturers. One student is abroad, one is working at
home.

MAS - we could maybe offer some incentive to the student staying in the
country if she would come to the demo.

LC - Two tutors at the Language centre will not be in the country.

MAS - We must try to make a video before they leave.

5. outstanding Action Points
ACTION 98/05/01 - (KH) Write up report on UTG experience.  OUTSTANDING.

ACTION 98/05/01 - All to try to get hold of language teacher for seminar
IN
PROGRESS

ACTION 98/05/01 - JD to arrange seminar  DONE

ACTION 98/05/01 (All) Forward contributions on PIPVIC deliverable to LC
next week or ASAP.   URGENT - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE.

ACTION 98/04/24(GS, DAP, AV) to arrange Italian evaluation session and
to check with Marie-Danielle. PENDING

ACTION 98/04/24 - Essex, SSEES, UCL Language Centre, and Aber will
arrange for language teachers to be at final demonstration on June 30th.
IN PROGRESS

ACTION 98/04/24(GS) - to contact NOSC re. raising the existing JANET
external Mbone tunnel from a 1mb to a 2mb connection and to suggest a
test period.
---CSP: This will be probably be done once they have some other changes
have been made.

SL - interested in Colin's network monitoring programme.

MAS - We are having a meeting at 11 today to discuss network monitoring.

ACTION 98/05/08 (UCL) - will send out details of tools available for
this and recommendations from today's meeting.


Return-Path: <pipvic-request@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Received: from muridae.cs.ucl.ac.uk by bells.cs.ucl.ac.uk with local SMTP 
          id <g.11384-0@bells.cs.ucl.ac.uk>; Mon, 11 May 1998 11:10:04 +0100
X-Mailer: exmh version 1.6.6 3/24/96
To: pipvic@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: minutes of last friday's meeting
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:09:59 +0100
Message-ID: <628.894881399@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
From: Julian CHESTERFIELD <J.Chesterfield@cs.ucl.ac.uk>

PIPVIC Videoconference 08/05/98

Participants:-
Julian Chesterfield, UCL (JC)
Angela Sasse, UCL (MAS)
David Hearnshaw, Westminster (DH)
Sue Sharples, Essex, (SS)
Simon Lavington, Essex, (SL)
John Buckett, Exeter (JB)
Ian Campbell, Exeter (IC)
Nac Datta, Exeter (ND)
Dave Price, Aber (DP)
Henry Hughes, UKERNA (HH)
Kris Hasler, UCL (KH)
Colin Perkins, UCL (CP)
Louise Clark, UCL (LC)

Apologies:-
Lesley Pitman, SSEES (LP)
Paul Hogan, Language Centre (PH)

minutes:-

1. Connection and tool check

All fine. LC is transmitting more noise than voice (to be looked into)
no Audio from JD until towards the end of the session.

2. Contract update
SL - problem in contract with "title of equipment will rest with UKERNA"

ACTION 98/05/08 (HH) will check and sort out agreement letter to
clarify.


3. Teaching activities:

a)
- - - - - - - - Mandarin
JC - Porblem with unreliable Mrouter at the language centre. Session was
delayed at the beginning because tutor couldn't get a connection to
participants in Exeter.

ACTION 98/05/08 (MAS) - will replace machine and update mrouter as soon
as new machine has arrived.

JC - students seem to enjoy session very much - one student liked large
image of tutor in particular - suggestion: increase framerate to assist
pronunciation

JB - agrees.  Student has understanding/appreciation of IT (as well as
studying accupuncture and wanting to learn Chinese) - so she is a very
good user to have.

MAS - raise framerate to 15 f/s for tutor, start with 8 for students and
increase gradually to see how machines/network cope.

- - - - - - - - Italian evaluation

MAS - Reminder that evaluation sessions are of utmost importance and
must take place , using same format as other sessions, so that we have
consistent result.

DP - Adriano has just called on the phone. He is at home with a cold etc
and gives apology . Alberto is away for a week, and so Adriano suggests
we try a meeting week of 18th -> 23rd May. Some students have filled in
evaluation forms, but we need to collect a few more.

ACTION 98/05/08 (Aber - Exeter) - to finalise date for evaluation
session

- - - - - - - - Human Rights (SSEES and Essex)

Last sessions has been cancelled due to students at SSEES being unable
to make any more sessions before end of term.

LC - extremely few evaluation forms from students for Human Rights
course have been returned)

ACTION 98/05/08 (JD/LP) - urgently organise evaluation session in
contact with Maria

SL - catch students before they disappear for vacation.

b) Seminars

7/5/98 Craig Rodine from OU
JB - sound from UCL Lecture Room was excellent.

LC - lecture yesterday very interesting. Problems with too many large
slides, we circulated powerpoint slides in advance and then tried to
show the slides over VIC.

DH - Could see most of the keywords on the slides. Audio, video and
content good.

SS - first seminar listened to, sound good throughout. Could see most of
the slides over the video.

LC - high framerate from UCL seemed to work quite well.

JD - sound quality excellent, content very interesting.

Upcoming:-
--14/5/98 Jim Dingley from SSEES
JD confirmed seminar next Thursday.

ACTION 98/05/08 (JD) to send slides to Louise for the Pipvic website.

LC - No response from UCL language teachers about participating in
seminar.

JD - will do it on his own.

ACTION 98/05/08 (MAS/LC) - try to arrange seminar by Anne Adams on
privacy issues in videoconferencing/recording

HH - if this is advertised well, there may well be a huge interest from
outside


--21/5/98 Simon Lavington from Essex???
SL - Not possible to do a seminar until June.

MAS: Would Sue be interested in doing a presentation of her PHD work?
Must be on Thursday 23rd or the week after.

SS - Couldn't do it until towards the end of June.

MAS - Must have a seminar from Essex

LC - anyone else at Essex who could give a seminar? After the SSEES
seminar. On the 21st or 28th.

ACTION 98/05/08 (SL)- to contact Robot group and try to arrange seminar
from Essex

SL - Possibly the robot group.


4. Technical and Pedagogical evaluations for the PIPVIC deliverable
(15th May)LC -sent out email this morning. outlining requirements from
other sites. Also, unless comments, evaluation results or observations
have been documented in the form of minutes or reports, any points will
not have been recorded by UCL, and will not therefore appear in the
final deliverable.

5. Update on DEMO

LC - there is a countdown on the PIPVIC website. Leading up to the demo,
we will need to do rehearsals and write scripts. It is important to warn
people that it will involve more time beforehand as well as the demo day
itself.

HH - meeting will have 50 - 100 people as well as board who decide on
funding. It will be a good opportunity to voice opinions and requests
and show what is possible over the MBone.

MAS +IBM- Agenda for demo avaliable?

ACTION 98/05/08 (HH)- will send out more details this afternoon.

SL - None of the students will be able to make the afternoon, hopefully
there will be some lecturers. One student is abroad, one is working at
home.

MAS - we could maybe offer some incentive to the student staying in the
country if she would come to the demo.

LC - Two tutors at the Language centre will not be in the country.

MAS - We must try to make a video before they leave.

5. outstanding Action Points
ACTION 98/05/01 - (KH) Write up report on UTG experience.  OUTSTANDING.

ACTION 98/05/01 - All to try to get hold of language teacher for seminar
IN
PROGRESS

ACTION 98/05/01 - JD to arrange seminar  DONE

ACTION 98/05/01 (All) Forward contributions on PIPVIC deliverable to LC
next week or ASAP.   URGENT - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE.

ACTION 98/04/24(GS, DAP, AV) to arrange Italian evaluation session and
to check with Marie-Danielle. PENDING

ACTION 98/04/24 - Essex, SSEES, UCL Language Centre, and Aber will
arrange for language teachers to be at final demonstration on June 30th.
IN PROGRESS

ACTION 98/04/24(GS) - to contact NOSC re. raising the existing JANET
external Mbone tunnel from a 1mb to a 2mb connection and to suggest a
test period.
---CSP: This will be probably be done once they have some other changes
have been made.

SL - interested in Colin's network monitoring programme.

MAS - We are having a meeting at 11 today to discuss network monitoring.

ACTION 98/05/08 (UCL) - will send out details of tools available for
this and recommendations from today's meeting.