PIPVIC
Videoconference 05/06/98

Participants:-
Louise Clark, UCL (LC)
Kris Hasler, UCL (KH)
Julian Chesterfield, UCL (JC)
Simon Lavington, Essex (SS)
John Buckett, Exeter (JB)
Adriano Vincentelli, Aber (AV)                      
Sue Sharples, Essex (SS)
Dave Price, Aber (DP)
Dave Hearnshaw, Westminster (DH)
Colin Perkins, UCL (CSP)
Lesley Pitman, SSEES (LP)  
Jim Dingley, SSEES (JD)

Minutes:-

Apologies:-
Angela Sasse
                             
0. QUASS

LC - everyone who has it, please use it. Rates the audio quality as you hear 
it and
stores timestamped information in a file. 

1. Connection and tool check

All fine to begin with, bad audio quality throughout most of the session. 

CSP - The problem seems to be at RL/bath, the rl->bath link is bursting at up 
to 20% loss sometimes... do an "mtrace -S 2 -l" between ucl and aber...also 
seeing problems around pluto.cs.ucl...

Audio at SSEES very quiet. Westminster still suffers from overloaded ethernet, 
causing audio to break up badly.

2. Contract update

No problems reported.

3. Teaching activities                     

- - - - - - - - Mandarin

LC - Last session on was on Tuesday. Apart from hardware problems (PCs 
crashing) session went well. First time everyone used graphics pads. San Zhu 
felt it worked quite well, although students had some problems with some of 
the strokes.

PH/JB - Students at both sites have expressed satisfaction with the course. 

Evaluation confirmed for 16th June 12.00-14.00. The evaluation will be 
conducted remotely

4. Update on PIPVIC deliverable

Handed in on Monday. 

5. Update on DEMO

LC - Will have 45 minute slot for presentation at UCL lecture theatre. We have 
to cover SHRIMP and ALAVIT as well as PIPVIC in those 45 minutes. Everything 
will be divided in to five
minute slots to cover each aspect of the project. 
                                                                       
ACTION 98/6/5 - (LC) to email more details of the individual presentations 
today.

LC - There will also be a stand in the cloisters, permanently manned. We would 
like the language teagchers to be there probably to answer questions and talk 
about the experience.

ACTION98/6/5 - (UCL) set up meeting in advance with the tutors from language 
centre.

LC - There will be a trial beforehand on the Monday, the day before.

LC - would DAP be happy to give network monitoring presentation?
                                                       
DAP - should be fine.                                  
                                                       
AV - When is the demo? There is a meeting, but not yet decided if it is to be 
am or pm. Will try to arrange it for pm to be available for the demo.

DAP - Conflict because AV has another committment to a University committee 
meeting on the tuesday as well. As he now knows the PIPVIC time slots he will 
try to reduce conflict as far as he can.

SL - could UCL produce guide on the reasons for doing the Demo for the 
Lecturers.

ACTION 98/6/5 - UCL to produce description and explanation of Demo for tutors.

LC - demo will include brief discussion from each site by the tutors.

AV - re Italian discussion between Aber and Exeter, who will represent Exter?

JB - in the abscence of Marie Danielle, probably Gary.

6. AOB

DAP- Can IP based multicast support lecture room conferencing?

CSP - We have tried it - The problem is not with running the tools to display 
to a large number of people, you do however need to install an effective echo 
canceller. The technology is good enough, but the room set-up needs to be 
worked on.

DAP - We should be prepared to answer questions about the ease of setting up 
lecture rooms, with regard to the state of ATM videoconferencing. A lot of 
people there will probably be very pro ATM VC.

DAP - Suggestions for 2-3 month final year MSc projects, possibly PIPVIC 
related, are invited.

7. outstanding Action Points

ACTION 98/05/22 (MAS) - to check with UCL contracts as to whether all have
 been received - OUTSTANDING, MAS not present today

ACTION 98/05/08 (MAS) - will replace machine in UCL language lab and update 
mrouter as soon as new machine has arrived. - DONE

PH - Quality much better, can now hear DH at Westminster.