PIPVIC
Videoconference 22/05/98

Participants:-
Julian Chesterfield, UCL (JC)
Henry Hughes, UKERNA (HH)
Dave Price, Aber (DAP)
Paul Hogan, UCL (PH)
Dave Hearnshaw, Westminster (DH)
Colin Perkins, UCL (CSP)
Angela Sasse, UCL (MAS)
Sue Sharples, Essex (SS)
Gary Stringer, Exeter (GS)
Kris Hasler, UCL (KH)
Jim Dingley, SSEES (JD)
Adriano Vincentelli, Aber (AV)
John Buckett, Exeter (JB)

apologies:-
Simon Lavington, Essex (SL)                                                    
           
Minutes:-
                             
1. Connection and tool check
All fine, DH sounding a little broken up. Cuts out after a few seconds.

2. Contract update
MAS - has everyone received individual signed contract between UCL and each 
site?

DAP - sent out signed version, and received letter about equipment.

ACTION 98/05/22 (MAS) - to check with UCL contracts as to whether all have 
been received

3. Teaching activities:
  
a)                                                                             
- - - - - - - - Mandarin
JC - Session this week had to be abandoned because router at ULCC was down.

DAP - NOSC notified, responded within 6 minutes.

MAS - if NOSC responded so quickly, wouldn't it have been possible to repair
the problem in time to save the session?  Did the router go down during the
session? 

JC - Was down before session.

DAP - difficult to determine exactly where the problem is.

MAS - If you set up half an hour in advance you will have a better chance of 
fixing it before the session starts.

CSP - Important to realise that NOSC are taking reports seriously, and 
responding.

ACTION - all sites to set up half an hour before session to check 
connectivity. 
- - - - - - - - Italian evaluation

DAP - AV has produced outline of successes and faliures of Italian Session. 
Next wednesday afternoon a final discussion has been scheduled.

MAS - any more news on the students?

GS - still trying to get in touch at Exeter. They are all in exam time, hoping 
to get as many as possible for wednesday afternoon session.

AV - Some students have already filled in questionnaires.

JB - has emailed all students. Will chase them up today.

DAP - could UCL produce a list of all the web forms we have received.          
        
MAS - all evaluation session dates should be organised at start of series to 
avoid difficulties at the end

JC - Mandarin session evaluation has been set for June 2nd.

DAP - Why evaluate after the deliverable?

MAS - unfortunate, but the session had to be delayed due to technical problems 
with PC tools.

HH - necessary to receive deliverables by 29th. There will be a week after 
that to incorporate any more evaluations which won't make the deadline.

DAP - Will wednesday eval give enough time to include on Friday?

MAS - Should be able to, if made available by thursday morning.


- - - - - - - - Post Communist Transition Course evaluation(SSEES and Essex)
(Title change requested by Simon Lavington)

JC - Session scheduled for Tuesday morning. Essex will try to encourage tutors 
to join the evaluation session remotely on tuesday.  

b) Seminars                                 
--21/5/98 Seminar from Essex on "Robots for teaching systems architecture"

JC - Went well from UCl's point of view - images and slides ok (after last 
minute change to mediaboard).

SS - problems with machines (Windows). One kept crashing just before the start.
  
MAS - Big thanks to Essex, especially Sue, for making the seminar possible. 
Also to the speakers for doing the presentation at such short notice.

4. Technical and Pedagogical evaluations for the PIPVIC deliverable (Final 
date 29th May)
JC - Louise sent out details of missing parts of the deliverable. Thanks to 
all who have sent in contributions. JC to email pipvic with details of 
contributions outstanding.

5. Update on DEMO

MAS - received draft agenda. Presentation before lunch. Live demos to take 
place over lunch.

DAP - how many people required at sites, how many should come to UCL?

HH - need good demo to show the tools and the teaching activities. The more 
people who are representing the Mbone piloting activities, the better.

MAS - ideally a senior representative at each site plus one person to be in 
the demo.

DAP - how about a list of where people should be?

MAS - can't tell people where they should be, however it would be good to have 
at least one from each site to join in live demo.

DAP - issue with amount of participants and the quality of the video. Should 
we show some high quality video between smaller numbers?

HH - each standard of Videoconferencing has it's own strengths, there is no 
need to try and compete with the other types of VC tools. Although point taken 
about demonstrating different quality which can be achieved. We should be 
trying to show what each setup does best.

MAS - from the user point of view, they don't want to have to deal with lots 
of different tools. We should show the two extremes, one session with a large 
number of participants and lower quality video, and one session with less 
participants and higher quality video.
                                                    
6. AOB

MAS - seminar on privacy from UCL by Anne will go ahead next week.

HH - Can publish widely.

MAS - Happy for as many people to join as possible.

ACTION 98/05/22- (MAS) in publishing abstract, please make clear how to join 
session, where to get 
tools from etc.. Also to point out requirement of multicast connectivity.

7. outstanding Action Points
ACTION 98/05/15 - (aber/exeter)to arrange a date this week for the Italian 
Evaluation. DONE

ACTION - SSEES and essex to arrange evaluation ASAP.DONE    
                       
ACTION 98/05/15 - (UCL) clarify web page entry about JANET III changes.IN 
PROCESS

ACTION 98/05/08 (MAS) - will replace machine in UCL language lab and update 
mrouter as soon as new machine has arrived. IN PROCESS, Machine has arrived. 
We are waiting for the systems people to install it.

ACTION 98/05/08 (JD/LP) - urgently organise evaluation session for HR course 
in contact with Maria DONE

ACTION 98/05/08 (MAS/LC) - try to arrange seminar by Anne Adams on privacy 
issues in videoconferencing/recording. DONE - next thursday

ACTION 98/05/08 (HH)- will send out more details on friday afternoon about the 
demo. DONE

ACTION 98/05/01 (All) Forward contributions on PIPVIC deliverable to LC next 
week or ASAP.SOME OUTSTANDING - there will be an update by email.