PIPVIC

Videoconference 20/03/98 10.00-11.00

Attendees:-
Louise Clark, UCL (LC)
Paul Hogan, UCL (PH)
Colin Perkins, UCL (CSP)
Angela Sasse, UCL (MAS)
David Hearnshaw, Westminster (DH)
Julian Chesterfield, UCL (JC)
Orion Hodson, UCL (OH)
Roy Bennett, UCL (RB)
Gary Stringer, Exeter (GS)
Adriano Vencentelli, Aber (AV)
Lesley Pitman, SSEES (LP)
Kristian Hasler (KH)
John Buckett, Exeter (JB)
David Price, Aber (DAP)
 
Meeting Minutes
 

1. Connection and tool check


All fine to begin with, there were a number of occasions during the meeting when UCL lost contact with the other participants.
 

2. Contract update


MAS - has been sent out according to UCL CO.  Still not arrived at partner sites.

ACTION 98/03/20-1: MAS to chase up on situation.

3. Update on Structured Activities

a) Teaching:
 
- -Spanish for Lawyers
arrangements for tutorial series evaluation:-
GS: Patrick can't make thursday, should we try to get all students together. It seems this may not be possible until well into next term.

MAS: we'll go ahead and plan on thursday, try and meet Patrick separately if he can't make it. Unless students/tutors would consider
meeting at the weekend?

JB: will talk to Marie Dannielle about the possibility of meeting on Saturday

PH: will check with Mar and Diego also about the weekend.

- -Italian
AV: excellent session. AV very pleased with progress. Students find it useful and fun.  2-hour session yesterday
worked fine, except for problems with importing large files into the whiteboard.
 
DP: no network loss at all, very clear.
 
AV: session showed that instead of battling with tools, the tutors should modify their teaching methods to adapt to the technology.
 
MAS: Should we arrange a (language) tutor workshop on this issue?  Yes.

ACTION 98/03/20: PH & MAS to identify some possible dates in late April for workshop and email to tutors.
 

- -Essex-SSEES Social Science Teaching
b) Seminars:
 
LC: used mediaboard instead of WB or WBD, worked very well. Audio a bit up and down, but students very enthusiastic.
Keen to continue course in spite of audio problems.
 
MAS: We will continue with course, hopefully we can fix the audio problems.
 
LC: new version not quite ready to deploy, more debugging required.
 
MAS: decision was made yesterday to continue with mediaboard, in the social science course.

b) Seminars:
UCL seminar March 19 given by Anna Watson (UCL).

GS: Derek Lewis from Foreign Language Centre attended; was impressed by content of seminar and by A/V side of conference.
Problems with slides - took ages to deliver or did not arrive at all.  Paper copies were used.  Slides were generated with PPT.
 
DAP: common problems with MS PS - aber have been running through Adobe Acrobat to generate standard adobe postscript files.
 
CSP: newest version of Ghostview can do the convertions - Unix script  can be written to do the conversion....or you can use PC
version, that comes as part of shrimp....
 
JB: mike from room very tinny - is this a problem with the room?
 
MAS: yes - difficult to get right - will continue to try and improve.

4. AOB

 
MAS - break in seminars until late April. Can Ian Campbell give seminar on the 30 April?
 
JB - will check.
 
MAS - 7 May seminar from OU - and it might be difficult to fit more in before the demo which is scheduled for around the middle of May -
will check from UKERNA.
 
DH - seminar on lessons from the PIPVIC tutorials - possibly on 14 May.

5. Outstanding Action points


ACTION 98/03/13-3 (JD, LP): Students must be found for Tuesday!!! Advertise more widely.
-Done

ACTION 98/03/13-1 (SL): Suggest dates for evaluation workshop on Polish sessions.
No news from Essex yet - ACTION

ACTION 98/03/13-5 (KH): Look into interoperability of wb and wbd

ACTION 98/03/13-6: JD to check with Kasia if 14 May is suitable for SSEES
 - still looking...
 
ACTION 98/03/06-5: More specific info on how best to prepare slides for the MAS/LC/KH to look at this and prepare guidelines for size,
shape, fonts, etc.
 - outstanding

ACTION 98/03/06 - DH and MAS to do series on hands-on experiences of using videoconferencing technology for teaching.
Dates: April 23,30 May 7, 14, 21, 28 - in process.
 

ACTION 98/03/13-7 (KH): Fix PC nte so it doesn't break Unix nte - Done.
 

Final meeting points:-
 
Another two Italian sessions this week, depending on whether Marie Danielle is meeting sudents in london re. spanish on Thursday.
 
ACTION 98/03/20 - follow up on packet loss problems during meeting. DP to file
report.

 
JD - Planning  of tutor workshop - MAS: welcome to help Marc-Georges, DH, PH and myself - 4-6 next Tue M-D to Aber teaching session
 
CSP: In future, we might try GSM+GSM as the audio encoding, lower bandwidth and sounds nicer than dvi+lpc when we get network loss.