PIPVIC
Videoconference 01/05/98, 10:00-11:00
 
Participants:-
Julian Chesterfield, UCL (JC)
Louise Clark, UCL (LC)
Kris Hasler, UCL (KH)
Colin Perkins, UCL (CSP)
Angela Sasse, UCL (AS)
Roy Bennett, UCL (RB)
Lesley Pitman, SSEES (LP)
Jim Dingley, SSEES (JD)
Paul Hogan, Language Centre (PH)
Henry Hughes, UKERNA (HH)
Sue Sharples, ESSEX (SS)
Ian Campbell, Exeter (IC)
Gary Stringer, Exeter (GS)
Dave Hearnshaw, Westminster (DH)
Dave Price, Aber (DP)



Minutes:-

1. Connection and tool check

All fine, except Ian Campbell unable to speak. Paul Hogan initially had 
trouble hearing certain participants.

UCL router went down repeatedly throughout meeting, cutting UCL off. 

2. Contract update
MAS: have heard from all partners except Aber

DP: discrepancy in contract over date of final demo

MAS: The contract was issued in January, this is just a minor change, no need 
to change the whole of the main contract - date of demo is, after all, 
suggested by/agreed with UKERNA.


3. Teaching activities: 
  
a)
- - - - - - - Update on Mandarin tutorials

LC: introduction for tutor and exeter students at midday today. Still hoping 
to find more students at UCL end. We will also finalise the timetable for the 
rest of the sessions.

GS: having problems with the graphics tablets on Win95 machines. Will try 
disabling the mouse and running just the tablet.

PH: There are some staff at Language centre who would be interested in 
participating

MAS: As long as they are not familiar with the technology

PH: will bring staff along to session today to meet tutor


- - - - - - - Italian evaluation session

DAP - to be settled as soon as possible  - problems with getting hold of 
students  
MAS - organising evaluation sessions with students seem to be a perennial 
problem - for any further courses, we should fix the evaluation session at the 
same time as the course sessions, and get the students to agree that they will 
be able to attend the session.

- - - - - - - Human Rights (SSEES and Essex)
LP: students who have attended previous sessions cannot make next Tue

ACTION 98/05/01 - LP to advise on availability of students; cancel or postpone 
Tue session if no students are to be found.

JC: Problems on Tuesday's session with downloading large Gif files interfering 
with the audio tool.

KH: Keep GIF files small to reduce problems with audio.  The files should 
scaled down from their original scan size or scanned in at less DPI.
  
CSP: None of the LBL shared workspace tools have congestion control, and will 
send out data with no regard to network problems they are causing. Sending 
large files will therefore cause problems to ALL other network users: not just 
our audio and video, but web traffic, email, etc. It is a REALLY bad idea!

LC: We have no shared workspaces with congestion control, and have therefore 
no choice other than flod the network. However, we should try to minimise the 
files we do import.

b) Seminars                                        
30/4/98 Ian Campbell "Introduction to Multicasting"

LC: excellent audio and video quality. Ian made very good use of the WB. Could 
all sites who were listening please fill out the web form.

MAS - attended from home through the UTG gateway. Audio intelligable, but not 
brilliant

ACTION 98/05/01 - (KH) Write up report on UTG experience. 

Upcoming:-
7/5/98 Craig Rodine from OU

14/5/98 Jim Dingley from SSEES

JD - Invisage the session to have input from all language teachers. 

Difficult to get hold of language teachers as they are busy with exams etc. 
But will try to get as many as possible.

ACTION 98/05/01 - All to try to get hold of language teacher for seminar

ACTION 98/05/01 - JD to arrange seminar



4. Technical and Pedagogical evaluations for the PIPVIC deliverable (15th May)

LC talked briefly about the draft for the evaluations deliverable. It is 
available from the main page of the PIPVIC website.

ACTION 98/05/01 (All) Forward contributions to LC next week or ASAP. 

5. Outstanding Action Points
ACTION 98/04/24(GS,PH,LC,JC)- to liase over arranging a mock session with the 
Mandarin tutor and the students. Possibly on Friday 1 May midday onwards. DONE.

ACTION 98/04/24(PH) - will try to find "real" students in language Centre to 
participate in mandarin course.  IN PROGRESS

ACTION 98/04/24(GS, DAP, AV) to arrange Italian evaluation session and to 
check with Marie-Danielle. PENDING

ACTION 98/04/24(MAS) - to get abstract from Craig . DONE

ACTION 98/04/24(LC) - to check whether Jim Dingley is planning on doing a 
seminar in may. DONE.

ACTION 98/04/24(UCL) Draft to go out next week, in order to discuss technical 
and pedagogical evaluations for the PIPVIC deliverable due on the 15th may in 
next meeting .   DONE.

ACTION 98/04/24 - Essex, SSEES, UCL Language Centre, and Aber will arrange for 
language teachers to be at final demonstration on June 30th. PENDING. 

ACTION 98/04/24(GS) - to contact NOSC re. raising the existing JANET external 
Mbone tunnel from a 1mb to a 2mb connection and to suggest a test period- NOT 
DISCUSSED

ACTION 98/04/17-2 (SL) - Contact Anna Watson, set up experiment (Anna to email 
SL when she comes back)- DONE