Minutes from PIPVIC Videoconference 16/01/98 10.00-11.00

Present:

Paul Hogan, UCL Language Centre (PH)

Louise Clark, UCL (LC)

Colin Perkins, UCL (CSP)

Angela Sasse, UCL (AS)

Roy Bennett, UCL (RB)

David Hearnshaw, Westminster (DH)

Dave Price, Aber (DP)

Gary Stringer, Exeter (GS)

Kristian Hasler, UCL (KH)

Lesley Pitman, SSEES (LP)

John Buckett, Exeter (JB)

Simon Lavingtong (SL) /Richard GAmble (RG), Essex

 

1. Connectivity Check

All clear except Essex, who had problems - probably with their microphone, i.e. not a network problem.

 

2. Review of Technical Workshop 13/01/98

 

Contents:

DP: repetition in Colin and Panos' talks; Panos should have concentrated on router setup.

 

Multicast reception:

 

Audio problem - quality was much better when input was fixed

Voices of the speakers were different - Louise most clear

Talks were more difficult to follow when material was not focussed and accompanied by right slides.

 

In future, slides should probably be made available in printable format before the workshop/seminar, but also be displayed in wb. Some sites may have difficulties running wb at the same time as decoding video and audio data streams.

 

Slide projector and camera should be synchronised if possible.

3. Tutor workshop

 

Web page for worshop will be set up later today.

 

AS: Please print out agenda and materials for teachers before the workshop

 

Expected attendance: UCL - 7 SSEES - 2 Exeter - 0 Aber - 3 (remote)? Essex - 3 Westminster - 1

 

Slides will be made available as - hardcopies (files for printing on the Web), plus wb, plus OHP

 

4. Update on Structured Activities

 

French for Lawyers - Michael uses videoclips - switching from wb to nte because of "individual text work" which Michael uses.

PH: Use of wb frustrating - as not designed for students to work individually on seperate pages.

GS: students at Exeter very enthusiastic

LC: Web page of times of sessions is now up.

PH: Spanish for lawyers will start mid-Feb.

 

ACTION 98/01/16-1 (AS/GS) to arrange date for face-to-face meeting between Michael and his students.

 

Aberystwyth: Staff involved to be Dave Price, Adriano Vincentelli and Alberto Andreaux. Tutor for training sessions will be Alberto Andreaux.

Aber plan to hold discussions next week with Exeter to plan exact schedule etc.. Report will be given next Friday, hopefully with list of dates etc..

AS: Suggested Times for Tech Seminars: Wed afternoon, Thu 1-2, Fri 1-2

 

5. Outstanding Action Items from Kickoff Meeting/Last Conference

 

ACTION 1 09/12/97 - HH to ensure contract will be issued by UKERNA as

soon as possible. UPDATED CONTRACT PENDING. AS to chase HH for contract.

 

ACTION 2 09/12/97 - MAS to ensure subcontracts are issued by UCL as soon

as possible. SEE 1.

 

ACTION 3 09/12/97 - SL to advise on connectivity of end-users at Essex. PENDING.

 

ACTION 4 09/12/97 - all partner sites to inform local network managers of

PIPVIC aims and activities, and arrange local technical support. DONE.

 

ACTION 98/01/09-1 (ALL) - email contact details. OUTSTANDDING - PLEASE

SO URGENTLY.

ACTION 5 09/12/97 - MAS to provide forms for documenting local

setup/equipment and end-user assessment. MAS/LC will put up form later today.

 

ACTION 6 09/12/97 - RB to email URL for current versions of SHRIMP tools

to PIPVIC partners. DONE.

 

ACTION 7 09/12/97 - MAS to look at getting SGI versions of SHRMIP

tools. UCL short-staffed, hence nothing definite yet.

 

ACTION 8 09/12/97 - MAS to announce date for PIPVIC Technical Workshop

asap. DONE.

 

ACTION 9 09/12/97 - MAS to organise teachers' workshop with DH and

Marc-Georges Nowicki and distribute materials. DONE.

 

ACTION 10 09/12/97 - RB to send out script for staring tools. DONE.

 

ACTION 12 09/2/97 - MAS to set up timetable for Teaching Activities on

Website DONE.

ACTION 98/01/09-2 (KH, LC, MAS) - set up project Web page. DONE.

 

URL: http://www-pipvic.cs.ucl.ac.uk/pipvic/

 

ACTION 13 09/12/97 - RB to email details on monitoring tools. DONE

 

ACTION 98/01/09-2 (KH, LC, MAS) - set up project Web page. DONE.

 

ACTION 98/01/09-4 (MAS, DP) - to draft schedule for technical

seminars. To be done by next week.

DP: tech seminars - need to decide topics between Aber & UCL.

 

6. AOB

 

ACTION 98/01/16-2 (DP) to propose Aber topics.

ACTION 98/01/16-3 (AS) to chase HH re wording for increasing Mbone "rate limits".